Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Kipnis' Polemic Against Love

Laura Kipnis’ Against Love: A Polemic is indeed, as the Boston Globe review says, “smart, witty and withering.” Kipnis begins her polemic with a necessary reader advisory, something I kept referring back to when I began the book so I wouldn’t become to emotionally attached to her ideas. In this advisory, she asks whether our “uniformity of opinion” about love—the way in which we idealize it without questioning it as a social institution—is “a bit worrisome” (3), and thus justifies the need for a polemic against it. The purpose of a polemic such as this one, she says, is to “poke holes in cultural pieties and turn received wisdom on its head” (4). She calls the reader to proceed with her book in a “conflicted and contradictory spirit” (4). And so I did.

In her prologue, Kipnis puts the reader in what is presumably her position—wanting more than what has become the banal and mundane in a marriage, straying toward adultery. This second-person, fairly sarcastic narrative did allow me to read in a “conflicted and contradictory spirit,” and I found myself taking her seriously and reacting in protest at first. But reading in such an emotionally attached way didn’t really allow me to get a full grasp on how Kipnis’ voice fits into a larger third wave consciousness, so I soon abandoned my ferocious margin-scribbling and allowed myself to be a little more detached so as to grasp Kipnis’ frame of mind. After all, she did warn us not to take her too seriously and to recognize the purpose of a polemic. So I read on.

In chapter one, “Love’s Labors,” Kipnis discusses the “contradictions, large festering contradictions at the epicenter of love in our time” (13). She uses infidelity as the entry point to these contradictions, arguing that the divorce rate (among other things) in our country may be saying something about this universal, idealized concept that we have about love. She claims we have set standards for love, and that we have incorporated the Puritan work ethic into our relationships with the mantra “good marriages take work.” She goes so far as to say that wives, husbands and domestic partners are “choke-chained to the status-quo machinery” (19).

In this chapter, Kipnis takes a decidedly constructivist viewpoint, saying we’re “social creatures to a fault” (24), and argues that love is a social construction that promotes “cultural uniformity” (25). Her only solution thus far in the reading, however, seems to be adultery—she calls adultery “the nearest thing to a popular uprising against the regimes of contemporary coupledom” (28). She says that therapy/counseling and the mass media are perpetrators of this regime, socializing us all into functioning within the social structures that already exist instead of questioning the social structures themselves. Additionally, this regime is highly regulated and upheld at any cost.

At the end of the chapter, Kipnis mentions the physiological affects of “unplanned exposures” such as adultery—if I’m getting this right, I think she argues that when one’s socialized ideal of love (with a monogamous partner) and his/her practiced ideal of love (with someone other than the partner) don’t line up, ailments such as “insomnia, migraines, cold sore, digestive ailments, heart palpitations, and sexual difficulty” will arise (48). I found this particularly interesting in light of our discussion of pushing a body to its limits and body-reflexive practices. In this case, how much is the body responding to social expectations of it, and how much is the body’s own intrinsic limits?

In her second chapter, “Domestic Gulags,” Kipnis gives us more of the same, criticizing the way in which our society upholds the traditional love story. She disagrees with the way in which we uphold “mature relationships,” mature translated by her as “a depressing badge of early senescence and impending decreptitude” (58). She launches into a discussion of “couple linguistics 101,” quoting people on their answers to the question “What can’t you do because you’re in a couple?” What follows is 9 pages of answers, most of which I didn’t relate to. But perhaps that’s because of my age, and Kipnis says that the content doesn’t really matter. It’s the fact that the “operative word is can’t,” she says, and that marriage imposes this list of interdictions on the individual that matters. That, says Kipnis, is what makes marriage a “domestic gulag.” Our traditional love story emphasizes the process of falling in love and ends with marriage, she says, but doesn’t address what Kipnis sees as the more realistic question: “What the hell now?” (100).

I think Kipnis makes some relevant points, especially in debunking something that we see as universally good. However, I’m interested in coming to a more practical and balanced discussion in class as a result of our reading. I’m also curious about how Kipnis’ view reflects her social location—not in an attempt to be politically correct, but because race and class are essential parts of third wave discourse to me. bell hooks’ book All About Love poses another view of love, one where love can be transformed into justice and seen from many perspectives. How might these two opposing viewpoints reflect the individual experiences of their authors?

7 comments:

Janne said...

Miriam,
I agree that Kipnis does bring up some interesting points, such as the fact that love and sex have not always been seen as belonging within the frameworks of traditional marriages. However, though I realize that she is indeed writing a polemic, I find her writing style far too broad and simplistic, proposing no viable alternatives other than adultery.

What bothered me the most about her view of adultery, is that she characterizes it as an experiment or uprising; a "de facto referendum on the sustainability of monogamy" (27). Though I do think it's possible that some people practice infidelity on these grounds, my experiences with people who practice non-monogamy are not quite as mindful of their acts. Quite to the contrary, my friends who practice non-monogamy often deny their partner the right to do the same, an appear to cheat on their partner in order to assert their power and control, and receive validation and esteem. Granted, my interpretation might be colored by my lack of acceptance for one-way non-monogamy (that is, cheating on your partner, but not accepting the same from your partner), but I stand firm in my opinion.

Heidi M. said...

Mirm,

You ask some great questions in your blog, particularly carrying on our conversation about body-reflexive practices and how a body's "intrinsic" reaction to a socially constructed phenomenon such as love furthers Connell's point about how the body and the social world are constantly in conversation with one another.

One argument I had against Kipnis's polemic is that she seems to be saying love "requires" expenditures such as weddings, etc. in our society--but I think it's rather the other way around, where capitalism simply takes advantage of a human phenomenon in order to make money.

-Heidi

the amateur feminist said...

Miriam,
I couldn't allow for myself to be emotionally detached to Kipnis even though in the back of my mind, I kept reminding myself she is providing a polemic view on love. I found myself saying "this is so true" more than questioning her points. I don't know, if I'm just more pessimistic on love or if I have been convinced by Kipnis. Whatever it is, I appreciate her courage to write about something that we never really stop twice to question.

Laura Groggel said...

Miriam,
Thanks for the blog!
I agree with many of the points you brought up. Especially about the centrality of race and class in third-wave discourse. I would like to compare her social location with other third-wave discourse writers, like bell hooks and analyze it critically through a lens that recognizes that her voice is one of many.

One thing I kept thinking as I was reading Kipnis was about her comparison of love with the puritan work ethic. I'm confused how she sees that leading to higher divorce rates because I see the opposite. Perhaps, for better or worse, society is beginning to see marriage not as forever and ever amen, but as something to do until something else comes along and/or goes terribly wrong. The rising rates of non-monogamous relationships and divorces tells me that people are less likely to work on relationships.

hannah said...

I appreciate that Kipnis is questioning something that most people find unquestionable, but it seems like she's drawn too large a category. You brought up the question of race/class/social position, and I think that is one key element: Kipnis seems to be thinking only of mainstream white culture love in America. I've found that I have to read the book by inserting these kind of qualifiers because a lot of her claims don't even fit my experiences since I've been engaged with a lot of anti-mainstream ideas.
While I think that questioning constructions of love is important, some aspects of Kipnis' argument really bother me (even in light of the advisory): her views on therapy (including working on relationships and communication) and her mentions of domestic violence. Many of the things she claims are horrible about marriages actually would apply to any long-term relationship or cohabitation (with a friend, in a family...). And while I do think that a cultural mandate of commitment can and has kept people in abusive relationships, Kipnis is missing a lot of analysis of this issue. In my search for more subtlety, I'm questioning the usefulness of a polemic, I guess.

Laura D. said...

Miriam,

Thanks for the summary and questions, which I found myself agreeing with. It would be very interesting to analyze Kipnis with bell hooks and others in this discourse.

I also found Kipnis a little one-dimensional when she discussed "solutions" to this "love problem." When my roommate asked what the book was about, all I could think of was "adultery." I continued on and expanded my description, but I think my gut reaction of this one topic emphasizes Kipnis' focus.

Like Laura G., I kept coming back to the relationship Kipnis introduces between marriage and the country's puritan work ethic. Although I found this idea amusing and interesting, I can't really wrap my head around the idea that people stay dissatisfied in marriages purely because of traditions passed down by the puritans.

Overall, I found chapters one and two of Kipnis' "Against Love: A Polemic" funny and enjoyable, which I think, is partially how Kipnis hopes her readers will view it.

JujuMama LLC said...

Miriam,

Thank you for this post. I am just learning about Kipnis views on love. I study her as I am a relationship MOGUL in the 30 something Urban Savvy Community.

I agree wholeheartedly with her assertions in the polemic. Here is why. I have been married for 14 years and I love my husband very much. However, I do not own my husband. I do not want the bonds of love to gag my husband and I certainly do not want to be gagged myself.

I do not believe that a system in which 66% of married individuals (male and female) have admitted to adultery is a viable system. I think marriage as it is 'keeps the peons in check'. It is not a system for the rich and famous as this class openly refutes forced stability enjoying fun escapades of all sexual sorts with consent from spouses who likely do the same.

I have two ideas that work in my relationship to clear the old grime of social conditioning. I believe in a progressive relationship. This simply means I believe in love and marriage, but of a progressive sort. First, my husband 'is allowed' to experience intimacy of all sorts from friends, lovers, co-workers and so forth without fear of punishment and without guilt. Second, I am given free reign of the same sort.

This works for us.

I write about my truimphs in progressie love here http://jujumama.wordpress.com By clicking the tab 'open relationships' anyone can read the beautiful stories of bliss we have weaved in this lifetime; even under an oppressive system (yet a beautiful one because it leads to a valiant and spiritual search for more).

Bliss to you Mariam!

Kenya K Stevens