Sunday, February 10, 2008

Intro

Welcome to my blog for Women's Studies 399: Third Wave Discourses. Like many of us said in class, I'm happy to be in community of scholars and activists who all have a similar language in which we can discuss gender issues. I expect to be challenged in this course to compare current scholars' discourses; I also expect that we as a class and as individuals will form our own discourses and voices in context of third wave feminism.

About me and my previous studies: I'm a senior, majoring in Women's Studies, English and a CIS (Center for Integrative Studies) major titled "Social Justice Studies." Although many of my Women's Studies and Social Justice Studies classes are similar, I decided to complete the Women's Studies as well so I could be part of this community of wonderful people! Classes in my major that I expect to inform this course are Intro to Women's Studies, where I was first introduced to concepts such as Rich's compulsory heterosexuality, Wolf's beauty myth, and hooks' intersectionality of oppressions, Feminist Theology, Philosophy and Feminism, Women's Literature, and last Spring's seminar on women and language. Other classes such as the American Conversations program and Islam and Civil Society (abroad) have given me insight into domestic and international gender issues.

That's about it for now...I'm pumped for this course!

1 comment:

Anne said...

Thanks, Miriam! I am also excited to hear you all develop your own voices in the context of third wave discourses.
Anne